Or is it waking up one morning and discovering that your high school class is running the country? Does being grown-up mean you can have any kind of sugar cereal or every kind of sugar cereal and eat it every day if you feel like it? One bowl later… “uggh. Next time, Shredded wheat it is.”
Maybe being grown-up is when you can’t shake off the feeling of disappointment at not being able to recapture that stomach bubbling excitement that Christmas day brought you as a kid.
Homeowning for grown-ups is about building a life. It’s about moving forward. It’s about taking that next step towards something scary and wonderful.
It’s also about finding out how expensive furniture is. But first, you have to find the perfect house for you.
When you have found the house that you think is perfect, you start thinking of it as your house. You picture yourself in it and how you would decorate it. But when your offer is not accepted, this can feel brutal. So be prepared when house shopping, because you will need patience. The doubt, the tears, the anxiety and worrying is all part of the process.
Now if you can make it through all of that, and get your dream home, then I would say that you are a grown-up homeowner. Now comes the responsibility that comes with owning a home. And here are a few tips to help you jump start the things you need to know about owning a home:
1) Keep the corners clean. If the corners are kept clean, the whole house will be. The cleaner things are, the easier it is to see early signs of moisture or leaks.
2) Buy some basic hand tools and power tools. Saws, drills, bits, multi-size pliers, assorted screwdrivers and a tool box so they have a place.
3) Ask your grown-up friends for trade referrals. You will need to have a plumber, an air conditioning man, an electrician, a roofer and a good carpenter/trim man. (These guys can eliminate your honey-do list in a heartbeat).
4) Remember, that even if things are working fine, they still need maintenance to keep them running smoothly and efficiently.
5) Ask each tradesman for things you can do yourself to prevent expensive repairs.
Wimpy’s Dependable Plumbing would love to share more homeowning tips for grown-ups. Just call us anytime,941-322-1911. Or send your question to www.loveyourplumber.com.