Oh no! Your toilet won’t flush! Stop panicking and read through these common bathroom plumbing problems and solutions to figure out what your toilet needs to start working again.
Common Toilet Flushing Problems
There are a lot of reasons why your toilet might not be flushing. Here are a few of the problems we see the most frequently.
- The tank is too small. Everyone is trying to save water and so toilet tanks are getting smaller and smaller. If yours is too small, your toilet won’t flush or won’t always flush, no matter what you do.
- You have water flow issues. If there’s not enough water getting into your toilet’s tank or if the tank is leaking, it won’t have the water it needs to flush well.
- Your jet hole got plugged. This is the small hole under the front of your toilet. It can get plugged with hard water deposits or objects.
- Your septic system isn’t working. Many septic problems can cause issues with toilet flushing. You may need a new outlet filter for your tank or a new drainfield. Don’t try to fix your septic system yourself.
How to Fix a Toilet that Won’t Flush
There are a few things you can try to fix your toilet’s flush. If these don’t work or you aren’t confident working on your toilet, give Wimpy’s a call to get a skilled plumber on the job fast.
- Check the valves. If water is leaking, replace them.
- Check the incoming water lines. If they are bent, clogged, or broken, they will need to be replaced.
- Unclog your jet hole. Remove any small objects and/or hard water deposits that are clogging this hole. Then try flushing again. If the toilet flushes well, then you’ve solved your problem.
- Call for help. At Wimpy’s, we know how to fix a toilet flush, how to get a toilet to flush, and how to fix a slow flushing toilet. We’ll find the problem and fix it as fast as we can so you get your house back to normal ASAP.